NEIGHBORHOOD DISASTER PLANNING WORKSHOPS
CITY OF LOS ANGELES EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT
We never think a disaster will strike our neighborhood – or at least we hope it won’t! However, it is not a question of if one will happen, but when. Find out what you can do to help make your neighborhood better able to meet disasters head on and bounce back afterwards. Join us for a workshop that will give you the resources and tips that you need to create a Neighborhood Disaster Plan for your community.
As a leader in disaster preparedness, the City of Los Angeles Emergency Management Department has embarked on the development of an innovative and invaluable set of resources for communities – the 5 Steps to Neighborhood Preparedness Toolkit. This groundbreaking project will provide you with the tools you need to create disaster plans specific your community!
By attending the workshop, you will receive:
- 5 Steps to Neighborhood Preparedness– the primary guide. This document should be provided to everyone involved in building a neighborhood disaster plan for your area. It outlines a concise 5-step process to plan development.
- Meeting Reminder Flyer. Use this template to create a flyer to remind your neighbors about the neighborhood disaster planning meeting.
- Facilitator Guide. This resource can be used by the person who is facilitating the neighborhood disaster planning meeting. It has talking points, supplemental detail regarding the 5 steps, and ideas for future neighborhood disaster planning meetings.
- Neighbor Survey. Use this survey to find out which neighbors might need extra help in a disaster, and which neighbors have special skills or training that might be helpful in response!
- Plan Template. This file provides a structure for you to insert information in to create a neighborhood disaster plan of your very own!
- Emergency Door Hanger. Use this door hanger after a disaster when 9-1-1 assistance is not available. It will help your neighbors to know who to aid first. Additional detail about this hanger is contained in the Facilitator Guide.
- Just-in-Time Training DVD. This documentary style short video will provide you with added direction in developing a plan, to include footage of plan development conferences, interviews with actual Angelinos, and other tips and strategies!
AGENDA AND LOCATION INFORMATION
6:30PM-8:30PM: Workshop. Check-in starts at 6:00 PM. Please arrive on time.
DATES AND LOCATIONS
There is one workshop left tonight if you can attend please register ASAP.
Thursday, September 25, 2014
Crenshaw Christian Center
7901 S. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90044
WORKSHOPS ARE FREE OF CHARGE. REFRESHMENTS AND DOOR PRIZES ARE PROVIDED.
QUESTIONS AND ACCOMMODATIONS
Have questions? Contact Crystal Chambers at Crystal@constantassociates.com, (424) 247-1214, or the Emergency Management Department TTY at 213-978-0463.
Quantities are limited to 100 per workshop for the 5 Steps material.
As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Reasonable accommodation or auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability, you are advised to make your request at least 72 hours prior to the meeting you wish to attend. For additional information, please contact the City of Los Angeles Emergency Management Department at (TTY) (213) 978-0463.