2018 Sharing Key Messages in the New Year!
January 3, 2018
FEMA shares their National Seasonal Preparedness Messaging Calendar for 2018
Neighborhood meeting ideas around preparedness can be found here!
- Make a family emergency communication plan, include pets.
- Identify an out of town emergency contact to coordinate information with family/friends.
- Get to know neighbors and check on them during emergencies.
- Keep copies of important documents in a secure place (digital or waterproof location).
- Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit, include a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
- Create a rainy day emergency savings fund and keep cash on hand for emergencies.
- Download the FEMA App and set up local alerts.
- Listen to local officials by radio, TV, or social media and take action.
- Plan for out-of-pocket expenses for lodging, food, gas and more.
- Review your insurance policies and update your coverage if necessary.
- Be prepared for the cost of deductibles for insurance and medical co-pays.
- Complete an Emergency Financial First Aid Kit at Ready.gov.
Life Safety Skills
- Practice preparedness plans with a drill or exercise.
- Take Until Help Arrives training and a first aid class to be able to help until first responders arrive.
- Know how to shut off utilities where you live.
- Know all emergency exits where you live, work and often visit.